Bagalkot District is an administrative district in the Indian state of Karnataka . The district headquarters is located in the town of Bagalkot . The district is located in northern Karnataka and borders Belgaum , Gadag , Koppal , Raichur and Bijapur . The new Bagalkot district was carved out of Bijapur in 1997 via Government of Karnataka directive Notification RD 42 LRD 87 Part III . The bifurcated Bagalkot district consists of six taluks — Badami, Bagalkot, Bilagi, Hunugund, Jamakhandi and Mudhol. Historically, Bagalkot was ... More »
Places to see :-
Badami is 500 KM away from Bangalore and 30 Km away from Bagalkot, is known as Vatapi and Badavi and was laso the capital fo the Early Chalukyas, called as Vatapiadhishtana. Ptolemy's Badiamaioi has been identified with this place.
About five km from Badami and the famous temple of Banashankari or Shakambari here is hightly reserved. The idol is of blackstone seated on linon and tramples a demon by foot.
Once the capital of the early Chalukyan dynasty (6 th to 8 th centuries), Aihole is a picturesque village on the banks of the Malaprabha river.
The tiny village of Pattadakal is situated on the banks of the Malaprabha river. Referred to as Petrigal by Ptolemy, Pattadakal was later known variously as Raktapura (Red Town) & Pattadakal Kisuvolal.
most historic place since around 800 years. The famous rivers Krishna and Ghataprabha merge here and flows towards Srisaila (another historic palce) of Andra Pradesh.
It is around 24 Km from Badami and when some emigrants came and settled by the side of a hill, it began to be called as Guledgud, meaning Emigrants Hill. During the rule of Ibrahim Adilshah II, a fort was erected here in 1580, by a Bijapur Officer Singappa Naik Desai and later the place came under the Mughuls. On the site of a dry lake the present town was built in 1705. It fell into Tippu in 1787 and later came under the Marathas. The Choli(khana) cloth manufacture at this place is very famous and in great demand. The town comprises of large number of weavers .
Bilgi is situated at a distance of 30 Km from Bagalkot. To the north of Bilgi is a stone pond called Arettina Bavi (Six - bullock well) , an object of interest. The shrine inside the well, of Mahadeva, is not worshipped as the linga is broken. The stone inscriptions in Kannada, marathi and persian built into the walls of the well register that it was constructed by vVisajipanta in the year 1708 A.D. There is a dargah of Hasan Dongri, in the town. Moharam festival is celebrated in a big way here. One Km to the south of Bilgi is the temple of Siddeshvara, encompassed by hillocks. On a footstep of the temple is an inscription of 1695-96 which records construction of the eastern doorway by Khanderao Timmaji, a subordinate of Vajir Haidar Khan.
Hungund is around 40 Km from Bagalkot and is on the National Highway. The earlier names of Hungund was Honnakunda or Honnagunda, which was derived probably owing to the tracing of Yellow coloured talc, resembling gold on the hill overlooking the town. According to an inscription here, lands were granted to Mallikarjuna by Satyavati Mahadevi whose husband was king Ayyanorva of the Ballala family. A branch of the Vijayamahanteshvara matha is functioning here .
is the biggest town in the taluka. It lies about 13 Km away from Hungund. The town is noted for its matha of Vijayamahantheshaswami. To the south - east of the town, on the bank of the Hirehalla is a big temple, consisting of gadduges relating to Vijayamahanteshaswami and his religious preceptor Gurumahanta Shivayogishvara. In this place is held annualy , a car festival in honour of Vijayamahantesha. To the east of the town, on the elevated spot stands erected a big domed structure, housing the Dargah of Hazarath Syed Murtaza-Sha-Khadri. It is held in high esteem and annual urus draws huge crowds. The town is famous for several varieties of sarees like saw handloom, art silk and silk.
is an important town, about 80 Km from Bagalkote. Jamkhandi was the capital ofthe former Maratha Pricipality of the Patavardhans, cousins of the Miraj family in Maharashtra. The place is known as Jambukandi in records, probably derived from the Jambukeshwara temple of the place. The temple of Kadapatti Basaveshvara is widely respected in the town. There are also shrines of Sangameshvara and Neelamma in this temple. Every year a Jatra of Basaveshvara and a cattle fair is conducted at this place. Another old temple here is Jambukeshvara, which is a Chalukyan monument .There is a mosque in the town and the dargah of Abubakar is highly venerated. To the west of the town on a hillock called Ramatirtha stands a grand edifice 'Ramachandra Prasad', once the royal residence of the Jamkhandi rulers, and Tripura Sundari Temple. Shurpali, 10 Km from Jamkhandi is on the banks of Krishna, and has a Lakshminarayana temple and the Sadananda Matha. It was an agrahara. Rabkavi-Banhatti is a place about 19Km to west of Jamkhandi. This town area comprises of four places namely Rabkavi, Banhatti, Hosur and Tampur. In 1952 the municipalities of Rabkavi and Banhatti were merged into one Municipality. The plae is very famous for its powerloom and handloom sarees, which has a very good market.
is situated about 50 Kms from Bagalkot on the left bank of the Ghataprabha river and administered by a municipality. In the bygone days it was called as Muduvolal means 'Lovely Town'. it is believed to be the birth place of great kannada poet Ranna. Mudhol served as a capital of the erstwhile princely State of the Ghorpades, the descendents of Baji Ghorpade, whio was an army officer int he Bijapur Court and they ruled till 1947. There is an old under ground Shiva Temple in hte town which is a fine monument. The Swetamabar Jaina temple here has fine images like Munishvaraji and Mahaviraswami. The Brahmagaddi Matha (big one) and Mahalingeshvara math are two matha in the town. The famous dargah of Saifi Saheb is located on a highly elevated spot and its yearly urus attracts large number of people. The town is noted for its grinding stones and basil stands. Mahalingapura is a town about 19Km to the North west of Mudhol. Its earlier name Naragatti subsequently renamed as Mahalingapura in honour of Saint Mahalingeshwvara. Large number of handlooms are working in the town and handloom sarees manufactured here find ready markets
|When to go:-
||KSTDC (bookings and info) Badami House, NR Square, Bangalore Tel: 080-2275869, Fax: 2352626 Email: email@example.com
|Where to stay :-